The Exorcist is a 1973 American horror movie, written by William Peter Blatty based on his 1971 novel. The movie features Ellen Burstyn, Max von Sydow, Jason Miller, and Linda Blair. It tells the story of a young girl taken over by a demon and how her mom tries to save her with the help of two priests performing an exorcism.
How to watch Exorcist movies in order
If you’re considering watching the Exorcist movies in order but aren’t sure where to begin, you’re in the right place. In this blog, we’ll provide an easy guide to help you watch the Exorcist movies in the order.
Here is the list of Exorcist movies in order:
- The Exorcist – 1973
- Exorcist II: The Heretic – 1977
- The Exorcist III – 1990
- Exorcist: The Beginning – 2004
- Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist – 2005
- The Exorcist: Believer – 2023
1. The Exorcist (1973)
- Director: William Friedkin
- Writer: William Peter Blatty
- Cast: Linda Blair as Regan MacNeil, Jason Miller as Damien Karras, Max von Sydow as Lankester Merrin
- IMDB Rating: 8.1/10
In the 1973 movie The Exorcist, a young girl named Regan starts acting very strangely. Her mom is really worried and asks for help. Two priests come to believe that she is possessed by a demon. They try a risky religious ritual to save her, leading to a scary and intense battle between good and evil.
2. Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977)
- Director: John Boorman
- Writer: John Boorman
- Cast: Linda Blair as Regan MacNeil, Richard Burton as Father Philip, Kitty Winn as Sharon Spencer
- IMDB Rating: 3.9/10
In Exorcist II: The Heretic, a 1977 movie, we see Regan, the girl from the first movie, now older but still troubled by demons. Father Lamont is the priest who tries to help her this time. The movie takes us on a journey to find the evil force that still haunts Regan. The movie is full of strange events and is a mix of horror and drama.
3. The Exorcist III (1990)
- Director: William Peter Blatty
- Writer: William Peter Blatty
- Cast: George C. Scott as Kinderman, Jason Miller as Patient X, Brad Dourif as The Gemini Killer
- IMDB Rating: 6.5/10
In The Exorcist III, police detective Kinderman tries to solve a series of murders that are similar to those committed by a killer who died 15 years ago. Meanwhile, his friend, a priest named Father Dyer, is in the hospital and is also in danger. The movie combines horror and mystery, and fans of the original The Exorcist will find connections to the first movie. It’s a scary story that keeps you guessing until the end.
4. Exorcist: The Beginning (2004)
- Director: Renny Harlin
- Writer: Alexi Hawley
- Cast: Stellan Skarsgard as Lankester Merrin, Izabella Scorupco as Sarah, Remy Sweeney Joseph
- IMDB Rating: 5.1/10
In the movie Exorcist: The Beginning from 2004, the story takes place in a faraway African village. A troubled priest named Father Merrin is asked to visit the village. He goes there to find out why bad things are happening. As he investigates, he realizes that something very evil is in the village. Father Merrin must confront this evil force, and while doing so, he must also face his own inner struggles.
5. Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist (2005)
- Director: Paul Schrader
- Writer: William Wisher Jr.
- Cast: Stellan Skarsgård as Lankester Merrin, Izabella Scorupco as Sarah, Remy Sweeney Joseph
- IMDB Rating: 5.2/10
In Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist from 2005, the story happens before the famous exorcism. It’s about a nice priest named Father Merrin. He goes to a faraway African village where bad things are happening. He sees scary things and feels like there’s a very old and powerful evil. Father Merrin has to find his faith and fight against this darkness that’s trying to take over him and the world.
6. The Exorcist: Believer – 2023
- Director: David Gordon Green
- Writer: Peter Sattler
- Cast: Ellen Burstyn as Chris MacNeil, Olivia Marcum as Katherine, Leslie Odom Jr. as Tanner
In The Exorcist: Believer – 2023, Father John, a brave priest, faces his toughest challenge ever. He must confront unimaginably evil forces to save a troubled soul. With strong faith and determination, he fights against pure evil. This story is about the biggest battle between good and evil, full of faith and redemption. The Exorcist: Believer movie is currently not available to watch on any platform, it will release on 13 October 2023.
The Exorcist is a spine-chilling tale about getting taken over by an evil spirit. It teaches the audience that having strong faith in what’s good can conquer the darkness, and leave you in thought, biting your nails long after the credits roll.
In this blog, we have discussed all the essential details that will help you when you are watching Exorcist movies in order. So, delve into this world of horrors without waiting any longer.