Wondering how to get HBO Max on Smart TV? No worries, you can seek instructions on how to set up HBO Max on your TV through this guide. The service is compatible with Smart TVs and you can set it up by jumping straight to the steps or continue reading to learn about HBO Max.
The American-based video-on-demand subscription service– HBO Max is a hub for the latest TV shows, movies, documentaries, and originals. It hosts many famous titles like Friends Reunion, Dodo, Game of Thrones, Curb Your Enthusiasm, House of The Dragon, etc.
Unfortunately, HBO Max is only available for streaming in the USA and is region-locked elsewhere due to geographical barriers. Samsung Smart TV owners willing to access HBO Max outside the specified region get the following error message on their TV screen.
“Sorry, HBO MAX isn’t available in your region yet.”
How Can I Get HBO Max on Smart TV Outside USA?
Smart TV users can now easily access HBO Max outside USA by following the simple instructions that are listed below:
- Subscribe to a trustworthy VPN service. (We advise purchasing ExpressVPN)
- Connect to a USA VPN server from the ExpressVPN server category.
- Make sure your Smart TV has an active internet connection.
- Navigate to your Wifi router’s admin and connect it to your VPN network.
- Open your Smart TV and press either the “Home” or “Smart Hub” button with the remote control.
- Select “Apps” from the drop-down menu.
- Log in to your Samsung account or create a new account if you don’t have one.
- Search for the HBO Max app from the search menu in the upper right corner.
- Navigate to the HBO Max main page by clicking on the app icon.
- Click on the Install button to download HBO Max on your Smart TV.
- Launch the app on your Smart TV after it’s successfully downloaded.
- Sign in to your HBO Max account and start streaming on your Smart TV.
How Do I Activate HBO Max On My TV?
In order to activate HBO Max on your TV, you will need to enter a special 6-character code. Follow the process below if you’re new to HBO Max:
On your TV:
- Launch HBO Max and choose the person icon.
- Select the Sign In button and note the six-character code displayed on the screen.
Now, on your computer or phone:
- Open a web browser and go to: activate.hbomax.com.
- Next, enter the 6-character code from your TV.
- Enter your account email address and password, then click Sign In.
Why Do You Need a VPN to Unblock HBO Max on Smart TV?
HBO examines your public IP address and instantly blocks you if you are caught streaming outside US territories. In addition, the strict licensing and copyright policy of HBO Max restricts you from accessing trending shows and movies on Smart TV in your home country.
Even though you’ve already got an HBO Max subscription, you need to prove you’re browsing their website within the US region with the help of a reliable VPN service. A VPN comes in handy by spoofing your current IP address with one in the United States.
As a result, you can efficiently unlock HBO Max on Smart TV or any other compatible device. No worries, no restrictions; all you need to do is select a premium VPN package that best suits your streaming need, and rest assured that you’re receiving a good streaming experience!
The Best VPNs for HBO Max on Smart TV Outside USA
There are many VPNs available, but you must carefully pick a VPN service that offers top-notch quality in terms of speed, privacy, and security. We tested over 50+ VPNs to identify the following three VPNs that perform exceptionally well for watching HBO Max on Smart TVs.
1. ExpressVPN: The Best VPN to Watch HBO Max on Smart TV
Total Servers: 3,000+ | Countries: 94+ | American Servers: 23+ in 14+ Cities | Trustpilot Rating: 4.7 | Simultaneous Connections: 5
ExpressVPN is one of the top-tier VPN services available today, based in the British Virgin Islands and established in 2009. It encompasses over 3,000+ servers in 90+ countries, including 23+ American servers, which works flawlessly with HBO Max.
We tested Express VPN by establishing a connection to a New Jersey server over 100Mbps. As a result, we obtained 89.70 Mbps and an upload speed of 86.01 Mbps. The VPN uses cutting-edge technology to help streaming geeks watch their favorite HBO Max shows on Smart TV.
ExpressVPN compatibility with various operating systems, including Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS, Smart TVs, etc., enables you to access HBO Max originals on your preferred devices. In addition, a single ExpressVPN subscription allows you to connect up to 8 devices simultaneously. We have also tested ExpressVPN to watch Max on PS4, and it worked perfectly.
Verdict: With its MediaStreamer feature, ExpressVPN guarantees that users can safely stream Hbo Max exclusive titles even on devices that aren’t VPN-compatible.
ExpressVPN HBO Max Testing on Smart TVs
Our internal tests and conversations with the ExpressVPN support team indicate that the HBO Max can be unblocked on Smart TVs and other devices using the following servers:
- USA – New Jersey-3
- USA – Washington DC
- USA – New York
- 5 Simultaneous Connections
- Verified “No-Logs” Policy
- 30-Day Refund Guarantee
- Headquartered in BVI
- 3,000+ Servers in 90+ Countries
- Split Tunneling/Network Kill Switch
- No Free Trial Available
2. Surfshark: Affordable VPN to Watch HBO Max on Smart TV
Total Servers: 3,200+ | Countries: 90+ | US Servers: 500+ in 20+ Cities | Trustpilot Rating: 4.3 | Simultaneous Connections: Unlimited
Cost-friendly & reliable– Surshark was launched in 2018 with over 3,200 servers in 90+ countries, among which you can find 500+ servers in 20+ US cities, which prove useful for unblocking a range of platforms, such as Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, Peacock, and Netflix US.
Surfshark USA servers work wonders by offering 84.720Mbps download speed and 85.01Mbps upload speed on a 100 Mbps connection. Simply connect to the Surfshark Los Angeles server and enjoy a bufferless HBO Max streaming on Smart TV.
Surfshark offers unlimited device connectivity on a single subscription enabling you to watch your favorite movie with your streaming enthusiast buddies. On top of all, Surshark only costs $2.49/mo (81% Off on 2 Years Plan) along with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Verdict: Surfshark’s clean web technology lets you surf the internet with no ads, trackers, malware, and phishing attempts. The value-added features include Kill Switch, GPS Spoofing, Multihop connect, and Bypasser. A must VPN for all streaming fanatics!
Surfshark HBO Max Testing on Smart TVs
Both our own testing and discussions with the Surfshark support staff have confirmed that it is viable to bypass library restrictions on HBO Max on Smart TVs with these servers:
- United States – Los Angeles
- United States – Miami
- United States – Boston
- United States – Detroit
- Unlimited Simultaneous Logins
- No-Logs Policy Audited by Cure53
- 30-Day Moneyback Guarantee
- 7-Day Free Trial on iOS/Android
- 3,200+ Servers in 60+ Countries
- Headquartered in BVI
- No Split Tunneling on iOS
3. NordVPN: Fastest VPN to Watch HBO Max on Smart TV
Total Servers: 5,400+ | Countries: 60+ | United States Servers: 1,970+ in 15+ Cities | Trustpilot Rating: 4.5 | Simultaneous Connections: 6
NordVPN is a top-grade VPN founded in Panama in 2012. With its prestigious 1,970 USA servers in 15+ different locations, NordVPN lets you watch the latest titles of HBO Max on your Smart TV. In addition, NordVPN comprises state-of-art features to keep you safe from ads, trackers, and malware.
After completion of testing, we obtained 94.70Mbps download speed and 88.01Mbps upload speed on a 100 Mbps connection. In addition, NordVPN offers a dedicated IP address, no-data leak, dark web monitoring, split tunneling, and private DNS to give you a secure and robust VPN connection.
NordVPN allows its users to link up to six different devices to their NordVPN account simultaneously. Furthermore, the desirable feature of NordVPN will enable you to avail of a 7-day free trial on Android, iOS, and macOS with a 30 days refund policy.
Verdict: NordVPN implies obfuscation technology on their servers to hide their user’s internet traffic and provide robust security. To get amazing speeds while streaming on HBO Max, it’s recommended to use the following servers:
NordVPN HBO Max Testing on Smart TVs
We have verified via our own testing and consultation with NordVPN’s support team that it is possible to circumvent library limitations for HBO Max on Smart TVs.
- 6 Simultaneous Connections
- Audited by PwC Switzerland
- 30-Day Refund Guarantee
- Headquartered in Panama
- 5,000+ Servers in 60+ Countries
- Split Tunneling/Network Kill Switch
- Downtime issues on some servers
Can I Use a Free VPN to Watch HBO Max on Smart TV?
While streaming services are gaining popularity and evolving rapidly, we can discover a range of cost-free VPN services claiming to provide complete digital security and privacy for your online activity. However, this is not the case for all free VPNs.
According to our analysis, we agree with free VPNs bypassing geo-restrictions, but it compromises the overall security of your data. The streaming service providers might detect your IP address, which instantly blocks you from accessing their service on the spot.
In addition, free VPNs sell your data to third parties for money. They keep logs of your history, and on top, they work on weak encryption techniques. We highly recommend using a valuable VPN tool such as ExpressVPN to unblock HBO Max on Smart TV outside of America!
How Do I Sign Up for HBO Max on Smart TV
Do you want to explore HBO Max content on your Smart TV, then it’s essential that you have got an active HBO Max account; otherwise, you won’t be able to access their service.
However, if you haven’t signed up for your account on HBO Max, you need to first purchase a subscription and sign in with a VPN to stream any of its content outside the USA.
1. American Credit Card Method
2. Gift Card Method
1. American Credit Card Method
Signing up for HBO Max outside of America is unsuccessful if you use a local credit card for the payment. It’s necessary to have an American credit card.
- Sign in with your ExpressVPN account details on your Smart TV.
- Connect to an American server from the list of servers.
- Download the app on your Smart TV and Click on the “Signup” option.
- Select your desired subscription package of HBO Max.
- Enter the appropriate information to create your HBO Max Account.
- Fill out the billing details, including the US credit card number and a US zip code. (Search for a US zip code on Google and add it, such as 02196, 71601, 90001, 96162, 92617)
- Congratulations! Now you can enjoy HBO Max on your Smart TV.
2. Gift Card Method
You can also Signup for HBO Max on Smart TV with a gift card in case you can’t find an American credit card. Proceed with the steps below:
- Navigate to MyGiftCardSpply and buy a US HBO Max Gift Card.
- Pick the desired amount, add it to your shopping basket, and proceed to the checkout page. The use of MyGiftCardSupply necessitates registration.
- Enter your payment information, including your first name, last name, email address, and phone number. After the successful payment process, check your email, as you’ll receive a gift card code attachment. If you haven’t found the card attachment in your inbox, double-check your spam folder.
- Go to HBO Max on Smart TV and Select Redeem your Gift Card.
- Enter your gift card number and a US zip code.
- Add other information needed to create the account.
Best Movies and Shows to Watch on HBO Max Smart TV
HBO Max broadcasts must-watch movies and TV shows that are loved by every streaming enthusiast out there. Here you can find the best movies and shows to binge-watch!
Popular Movies to Watch HBO Max on Smart TV
- DC League of Super-Pets
- Halloween Kills
- Fall out
- Free Guy
- The Batman
- Death on the Nile
- Last Night in Soho
- The Night House
- Mortal Kombat
- Doctor Sleep
Popular Shows to Watch HBO Max on Smart TV
- House of Dragon
- Abbott Elementary
- Rick and Morty
- The Staircase
- The Gilded Age
- His Dark Materials
- The Righteous Gemstones
How Do I Update HBO Max on Smart TV?
Updating HBO Max on Smart TV is a simple and easy process. We’ve outlined the steps below to update the HBO Max app on your Smart TV.
- Tap the Home screen or Menu buttons on the remote control.
- Move to the Smart Hub on your Smart TV to get started.
- From the menu bar in the bottom right corner of your TV screen;
- Choose the App section and click Enter button on your remote control.
- Find the Settings icon from the apps screen by moving the pointer to the cogwheel icon located in the top right corner of the TV screen.
- Go to the Updates tab in the settings screen.
- Start typing HBO Max in the search menu and click enter.
- From the drop-down menu, Choose the ‘Update’ option.
- The HBO Max update process will start if the recent update of the application is available for download.
You can also enable the ‘Auto Update’ option if you don’t have time to update the app manually.
Follow the steps to update the HBO Max app on your device automatically.
- Open the Samsung Smart Hub application.
- Go to the applications section.
- Open the settings menu.
- Enable the Auto-Update feature from the drop-down menu.
Which TVs allow HBO Max?
Soon after launching on May 27, 2020, HBO Max offered applications for a variety of TVs. You can take a look at the supported devices below:
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- LG TV
- PlayStation console
- Samsung TV
- Vodafone TV (in select countries)
- Xbox console
How to Watch HBO Max on Smart TV: FAQs
You might come across some concerns when you sit down to watch HBO Max on Smart TV. We’ve sorted out the most frequently asked questions below and their answers:
Why can’t I find HBO Max on Smart TV?
The most likely causes of your inability to find HBO Max on your Firestick or Smart TV are a faulty database inside your system or a covert existence of broken cache, flaws, and data overstuffing. Another factor can be that you are using an old version of Samsung Smart TV, which doesn’t support HBO Max service.
Why can’t I download HBO Max on my Smart TV?
If you find downloading HBO Max on your Smart TV challenging, then it might be possible that the database in your Smart TV is corrupted or there is an excessive amount of cache, bugs, and system storage data that need to be removed quickly. So, when you free your Smart TV from these kinds of junk, then you can efficiently download the HBO Max app.
How to get HBO Max Live TV on Smart TV?
While HBO Max doesn’t offer live channels, subscribing to HBO Max through Hulu + Live TV, DirecTV Stream, or YouTube TV does. Signing up for Hulu+Live TV is just as easy as getting regular HBO Max. The distinction between the two is that the Smart TV Hulu+Live subscription is considerably more expensive at $54.99/month.
How to log out of HBO Max on Smart TV?
To log out of HBO Max on your Smart TV, Go to the Settings icon on your TV, scroll right to Sign Out, and then choose Sign Out. Finally, you’ve logged out of your HBO Max account on your Smart TV.
Does every smart TV have HBO Max?
Not all Smart TVs are compatible with HBO Max because it is a relatively new streaming app. This isn’t anything you need to worry about if your Smart TV is only a few years old. Problems may arise if your TV was manufactured before 2018.
Why won’t HBO Max work on my Smart TV?
It might be possible that HBO Max is not compatible with your Smart TV, or you are running an older version of an OS. This may require you to update either the Smart TV OS, or contact the HBO Max support for troubleshooting the issue.
How do I get HBO Max app on my LG Smart TV?
To install HBO Max App on LG Smart TV:
- Press the Home button on your LG TV remote
- Select the LG Content Store from the list of options.
- Choose Apps, then My Apps.
- Locate and choose HBO Max.
- Install the HBO Max app on your LG TV!
To check for updates on your LG Smart TV:
- Press the Settings button on your LG TV remote.
- Navigate to the All Settings menu
- Open the “General” menu
- Click on “About This TV” option
- Hit the “Check for Updates” button!
Hopefully, you have learned how to watch HBO Max on TV with the help of this helpful guide. HBO Max is a fantastic place to stream awesome movies, shows, documentaries, originals, and more in a variety of genres and subgenres of your choice.
We hope that you enjoy learning from this manual guide that shows the best VPNs to unblock HBO Max on Smart TV. If you still have difficulties in setting up HBO Max on your TV, feel free to contact us.