If you’re here, you’re undoubtedly familiar with what a Netflix VPN is. However, even if that is not the case, the idea is pretty straightforward. You see, due to copyright and licensing agreements, Netflix is bound to show different content depending on where you’re located.
A VPN basically helps in changing your virtual location, so you can bypass geo-restrictions and access the complete Netflix library. After all, why should you compromise on the titles available to you, if you’re paying the same amount for a Netflix subscription?
Want to know which is the best VPN for Netflix? You’ll be pleased to know that a significant portion of our monthly VPN evaluations are spent assessing how well each service works with Netflix. If a VPN we suggest becomes unreliable, we will adjust its position on this page.
Bear in mind that finding a reliable Netflix VPN is not a simple task, as the streaming service takes measures to block geo-spoofing. That’s why we’ve updated this page with the results of our newest testing of the top VPNs.
Quick Summary of the Best Netflix VPNs
In light of our extensive study and analysis, the following virtual private networks (VPNs) emerged as our top picks for use with Netflix in 2022:
- ExpressVPN: Our Top Rated Netflix VPN. 23+ U.S. servers in 14 American cities. 30-days money-back guarantee available. 7-day free trial for iOS and Android. Starts at $6.67/mo on a 12-Months plan + 3-months free.
- Surfshark: Affordable VPN for Netflix. 500+ U.S. servers in 20+ American cities. 30-days money-back guarantee on all plans. 7-day free trial for iOS and Android. Starts at $2.49/mo on a 2-year plan + 2 months free (81% off).
- NordVPN: Fastest VPN for Netflix. 1,970+ U.S. servers in 15+ American cities. 7-day free trial for Android and iOS devices. 30-days money-back guarantees. The standard plan starts at $3.99/mo on a 2-year plan (51% off).
How to Use a VPN to unblock Netflix in 2023
Using a Netflix VPN, you can mask your location and access any Netflix library, regardless of where you actually are. This works for any device, including computers, smartphones, tablets, game consoles, and streaming media players like Firestick, Chromecast, and Roku.
For instance, If you are outside the United States, you will be able to watch shows that are unique to the UK, Canada, or any other country’s Netflix repertoire – the same applies if you’re trying to access American Netflix in other regions of the world. The process is quite simple too.
To ‘appear’ in a different nation after installing a VPN on your streaming device, you need just connect to a server in that country. Netflix will then assume that you are located in that country and provide access to content from that region.
For a quick breakdown on the steps involved for using Netflix with a VPN, follow the instructions below:
- Subscribe to a VPN. (We recommend ExpressVPN for its excellent performance).
- Connect to a VPN server (based on the library you want to unlock).
- For instance, to access the UK Netflix library, connect to a UK server.
- Launch the Netflix app or visit the website.
- Enjoy streaming your favorite Netflix content!
The 3 Best Working Netflix VPNs in 2022
Super-fast download connections and the capacity to access localized versions of Netflix’s international catalog are prerequisites for a great Netflix VPN. There’s no use in ignoring one of a VPN’s primary functions simply because it’s not a priority, therefore, it’s important to sign up for a service that also delivers exceptional privacy.
In light of this, we’ve gone through great hassle for our readers and tested over 50 different VPN services to discover the best one for unblocking different libraries on Netflix. Each of the three VPNs shortlisted below has earned a space on this page; all that remains is for you to select the one that is the most suitable for your needs.
1. ExpressVPN: Our Top Rated Netflix VPN
Total Servers: 3,000+ | Countries: 94+ | American Servers: 23+ in 14+ Cities | Trustpilot Rating: 4.7 | Simultaneous Connections: 5
ExpressVPN made its debut in 2011 in the British Virgin Islands. It is a highly secure and quick VPN service with more than 3,000 servers in 90+ countries, allowing you to overcome geo-restrictions and content limitations on Netflix easily.
Where all VPN service providers were severely impacted by Netflix’s new VPN banning measures in the middle of 2021, ExpressVPN remained unaffected and proved its commitment to its users by immediately and efficiently responding to the situation.
After testing the VPN on a 100Mbps connection, we obtained astounding download and upload speeds of 89.97Mbps and 86.51Mbps, respectively. This ensures that your experience on Netflix will be fluid and without buffering issues.
If you like to stream on a lot of different devices, ExpressVPN has apps for PC, Mac, Android, routers, smart TVs, and more. You’ll get the same results no matter how you stream, and the MediaStreamer DNS lets you get to blocked content on devices that don’t have VPNs built in.
You can even connect five devices at once and will face no issues in unblocking other streaming services like Hulu, Prime Video, HBO Max, Disney Plus, and more. Best of all, a 30-day money-back guarantee is available for plans as little as $6.67/month on a yearly plan.
ExpressVPN Netflix Testing: Working Servers
Unfortunately, the seas are not always calm, and not all servers are reliable. However, our internal testing and conversations with the ExpressVPN support team have shown that it is possible to unblock most libraries:
Access Netflix US with these ExpressVPN American Servers
- USA – New Jersey-3
- USA – Washington DC
- USA – New York
Access Netflix UK with these ExpressVPN United Kingdom Servers
- UK – East London
- UK – Wembley
- UK – London
Access Netflix AU with these ExpressVPN Australian Servers
- Australia – Sydney – 2
- Australia – Melbourne
- Australia – Perth
Access Netflix CA with these ExpressVPN Canadian Servers
- Canada – Toronto
- Canada – Toronto -2
Access Netflix JP with these ExpressVPN Japan Servers
- Japan – Tokyo – 2
- Japan – Yokohama
- 5 Simultaneous Connections
- Verified “No-Logs” Policy
- 30-Day Refund Guarantee
- Headquartered in BVI
- 3,000+ Servers in 90+ Countries
- Split Tunneling/Network Kill Switch
- No Free Trial Available
2. Surfshark: Affordable VPN for Netflix
Total Servers: 3,200+ | Countries: 90+ | American Servers: 500+ in 20+ Cities | Trustpilot Rating: 4.3 | Simultaneous Connections: Unlimited
Surfshark, located in the British Virgin Islands, debuted in 2018 is known for being both inexpensive and Netflix-compatible. Its extensive adoption of the WireGuard protocol and its 3,200+ servers in 65+ countries make it a breeze to circumvent geo-restrictions on Netflix.
Our tests showed that Surfshark successfully unblocked content from the United States and the United Kingdom, Australia, and even Canada – a fantastic array of results; especially considering that the provider falls under the budget-friendly list of VPN providers!
When tested over a 100Mbps connection, the VPN’s performance was impressive at 85.22 Mbps for downloading and 83.71 Mbps for uploading. That way, you won’t have to worry about any lag while unblocking different libraries on Netflix.
Similar to Express, Surfshark’s live chat service is available around the clock. There are people available to assist you with connecting to the most appropriate server. The provider even goes the extra mile by offering unlimited simultaneous connections to streamers.
If you’re signing up with Surfshark for the first-time, you’ll be pleased to know that the provider offers a risk-free, 30-days money-back guarantee, along with a 7-day free trial available to iOS and Android users. Best part of all: the apps are quite user-friendly!
Surfshark Netflix Testing: Working Servers
Both our own testing and discussions with the Surfshark support staff have confirmed that it is viable to bypass library restrictions for the vast majority of regions:
Access Netflix US with these Surfshark American Servers
- United States – Los Angeles
- United States – Miami
- United States – Boston
- United States – Detroit
Access Netflix UK with these Surfshark United Kingdom Servers
- United Kingdom – Glasgow
- United Kingdom – London
- United Kingdom – Manchester
Access Netflix AU with these Surfshark Australian Servers
- Australia – Melbourne
- Australia – Brisbane
- Australia – Perth
Access Netflix CA with these Surfshark Canadian Servers
- Canada – Montreal
- Canada – Toronto
- Canada – Vancouver
- Unlimited Simultaneous Logins
- No-Logs Policy Audited by Cure53
- 30-Day Moneyback Guarantee
- 7-Day Free Trial on iOS/Android
- 3,200+ Servers in 60+ Countries
- Headquartered in BVI
- No Split Tunneling on iOS
3. NordVPN: Fastest VPN for Netflix
Total Servers: 5,400+ | Countries: 60+ | American Servers: 1,970+ in 15+ Cities | Trustpilot Rating: 4.5 | Simultaneous Connections: 6
Founded in 2012, NordVPN is based in the safe jurisdiction of Panama. The VPN has a good reputation in the market and gives customers access to more than 5,200 servers in more than 60 locations across the world; making It a great choice for unblocking Netflix libraries.
NordVPN’s developers have been diligently working in the shadows to overcome Netflix’s ramped up geo-restrictions. Our recent testing has been quite successful, allowing users to unblock content from the UK, Australia, Canada, even the notoriously difficult Japan.
We received an average download speed of 89.97Mbps and upload speed of 86.51Mbps after testing the VPN on a 100Mbps connection on different servers. NordVPN is also free of WebRTC/DNS/IP address leaks, and its connection timings to Netflix are unrivaled.
Elsewhere, the service also gave us easy access to other services like Discovery Plus, Eurosport, Voot, Peacock TV, Apple TV+, and more. It also gives you the benefit of letting six other lucky people stream with you (a total of six concurrent devices allowed).
In case you face any issue, however unlikely that might be, NordVPN also incorporates a 7-day free trial for iOS and Android users and a 30-day money-back guarantee, as well as all-time live chat support to guide you as you face the first sign of trouble!
NordVPN Netflix Testing: Working Servers
We have verified via our own testing and consultation with NordVPN’s support team that it is possible to circumvent library limitations for a majority of regions:
Access Netflix US with these NordVPN American Servers
Access Netflix UK with these NordVPN United Kingdom Servers
Access Netflix AU with these NordVPN Australian Servers
Access Netflix CA with these NordVPN Canadian Servers
Access Netflix JP with these NordVPN Japan Servers
- 6 Simultaneous Connections
- Audited by PwC Switzerland
- 30-Day Refund Guarantee
- Headquartered in Panama
- 5,000+ Servers in 60+ Countries
- Split Tunneling/Network Kill Switch
- Downtime issues on some servers
Why Do You Need a Netflix VPN?
While certain shows/movies may be standard for most Netflix libraries, even powerhouses like the United States and Canada lose out on some programming, and the situation can vary significantly between the two countries.
Similarly, the Japanese Netflix offers an abundance of anime that is unavailable elsewhere, and Netflix in the United Kingdom still has some great British series that are unavailable elsewhere – and that’s only the beginning.
This is why using a Netflix VPN is important, especially if you want to access restricted content, or are traveling outside your country. To ‘appear’ in a different nation after installing a VPN on your streaming device, you need just connect to a server in that country.
Why Does Netflix Prevent VPN Use?
It’s very evident that Netflix disapproves of your use of a virtual private network (VPN) to access its service. You see, it isn’t a known issue, but distributors partnered with Netflix lose money when you stream a title that is bound by copyright agreements and licensing restrictions.
These distributors push Netflix to strengthen their measures against VPNs, which is reasonable given the importance of safeguarding the company’s rights agreements. Most of the time, Netflix’s engineers will accomplish this by entirely barring access from a range of IP addresses that they have previously identified as being connected with VPN services.
However, in August of 2021, it took things to a whole new level. As part of its attempt to reduce violations of its Terms of Service and Community Guidelines, Netflix blacklisted a large number of home IP addresses, resulting in a significant reduction of VPN usage to bypass geo-blocks.
Why Does Netflix Impose Geo-Restrictions?
Netflix makes available to users in each region a unique collection of movies and television shows. This essentially implies that a television show or movie that is readily available in the United States could not necessarily be accessible in Australia.
Some individuals who have a Netflix account may even pay more for a membership, but they only have access to 2,000 to 3,000 titles, whereas those who have a subscription in the United States have a library that has more than 5,000+ films.
The reason for this “discrimination” as come call it actually has nothing to do with Netflix. It all comes down to “copyright laws” and “broadcasting rights” given to Netflix by distributors. If a movie isn’t licensed for viewership outside the US, Netflix cannot by law make that title available elsewhere.
How Some Providers Overcome the Netflix VPN Ban
Country codes are assigned to every IP address from an Internet Service Provider (ISP). The engineers at Netflix have maintained a list of blacklisted IP addresses found to be connected to VPN services, and then blocks network access, when someone visits their website.
To overcome this issue, a majority of VPN providers come equipped with thousands of servers in different countries and cities around the world. Therefore, it is possible to hop from one location to another in order to overcome VPN bans and bypass geo-restrictions.
This is why streamers looking to unblock Netflix are advised to contact the customer support department to receive an updated list of servers and IP addresses for unblocking Netflix. If you happen to get an error message when connected to a VPN, you should do the same.
How to Install and Use a VPN on Netflix
While Netflix is now live and available to stream in 190 countries globally, to access a more extensive library, we advise you to use a US IP address to access Netflix USA:
How to Watch Netflix with VPN on Android
If you’re an Android user and want to access the US Netflix library, here’s a simple step-by-step guide to help you fulfill your late-night Netflix cravings:
- Create a Netflix account or sign in.
- Download/install the ExpressVPN from the Google Play Store.
- Activate/launch the VPN on your android device.
- Connect to a server you desire to access the library of.
- Go to the Netflix app and enjoy streaming!
Here is a detailed guide to watch American Netflix on Android devices.
How to Watch Netflix with VPN on iOS
If you’re an iOS user curious about how to use VPN on Netflix to watch the US library on your device via a reliable VPN, here’s an easy manual to follow:
- Register for a Netflix account or log in.
- Install/download ExpressVPN from the Apple Store.
- Activate/launch the VPN on your iOS device
- Pick a server you want to stream the library of.
- Grab some popcorn and have a blast!
How to Watch Netflix with VPN on Smart TV
If you want to watch the US library of Netflix on your Smart TV from anywhere in the world, here’s what you need to do.
- Sign up for a VPN that works with Netflix.
- Install the VPN app after acquiring it from the Google Play Store.
- Register and connect to the required server.
- Sit back, press play to your favorite Netflix show, and relax!
How to Change Netflix Region Without VPN
Bear in mind that to enjoy seamless unblocking on Netflix, you will need to subscribe to a VPN service. If you are unable to buy one currently, there are other methods you can use to change your Netflix region. However, these methods may not be entirely reliable, and you will have to try each option several times before effectively being able to unblock Netflix.
- Proxy Server
- Smart DNS service
- Remote Desktop Software
- Tor Browser
1. Proxy Server
For a quick connection procedure, going for a proxy server is the best choice to make, and here’s how you can change the Netflix region with it.
- Open the proxy server’s website.
- Pick a server in the region you want to access the library of.
- Tap on “Agree & Connect.”
- Tap on “Continue to page”
- Click “Agree & Connect” once again.
- Log in to your Netflix account
- Watch your choice of content right away!
2. Smart DNS Service
If we tell you ourselves, Smart DNS is one of the efficient ways you can change your Netflix region without using a VPN. Not only is it the easiest to install, but it is highly reliable to be used in multiple areas with super-fast speeds.
- Pick a DNS proxy server address.
- A Google search in this regard will help you find a DNS proxy provider.
- Navigate to your device’s network settings.
- To add the DNS proxy you’ve chosen;
- Select “Advanced”.
- Navigate to the “DNS” tab.
- Click the Plus (+) sign.
- Start your network connection again.
3. Remote Desktop Software
If you’re looking to change Netflix region while saving money, here’s what you need to do.
- Download and install the Remote Access Software.
- Make a note of your Remote Access ID and password as you open the application.
- It is also advisable to enable security features including two-factor authentication.
- Make sure “TeamViewer” and “TeamViewer Desktop” are checked;
- Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.
- Someone who has this security authority can remotely control your computer.
- Install the Remote Access Software on your streaming device.
- Log in to the account you made in step 1 when asked.
- Enter your home computer’s Remote Access ID and password, which you jotted down.
- The screen of your home computer should now be visible on your streaming device.
- Go to Netflix and watch your favorite movies and TV shows!
4. Tor Browser
This option might not be the best, but it still changes your Netflix region- however slowly. Here’s how you can change your Netflix location via the Tor browser.
- Visit the Tor Project website to download the Tor browser.
- Click the.exe file, choose your language, and hit the confirm button.
- Click “Connect” as the Tor browser opens.
- To verify that the browser is operational, go to check.torproject.
- If your connection is successful, it will say;
- “Congratulations. This browser is configured to use Tor.”.
- Otherwise, it will say, “Sorry. You are not using Tor.”
- Feast your eyes on a more diverse Netflix catalog.
- Go to the app or the Netflix website, choose your pick, and press play!
The Best Netflix VPN: FAQs
When it comes to understanding how to use a Netflix VPN, you may come across some concerns. Below we provide answers to some common questions:
What is the Best Netflix VPN?
When it comes to VPNs for use with Netflix, ExpressVPN currently stands head and shoulders above the rest. In our tests, the VPN effortlessly bypassed Netflix region locks across the board, and the company’s round-the-clock chat support ensured we never had any problems!
NordVPN not working with Netflix
The most likely cause of Netflix restricting your connection through NordVPN is a discrepancy caused by your cookies, browser or apps, and locally saved cache. First, try clearing the cookies and cache by going into the settings of your browser or device.
Free VPN that Works with Netflix
Using a free VPN is not recommended from a privacy and security standpoint, as they compromise your data. Most free VPNs have been known to operate Botnets on servers or even sell your logging information to third-party services.
Why is Netflix Blocking VPNs?
Netflix blocks VPN connections because it lacks the legal authority to broadcast specific content in all the many different regions. Therefore, Netflix is in violation of its copyright agreement when a subscriber uses a VPN to watch a show that isn’t generally available in their country.
This concludes our Netflix VPN and setup guide. Nevertheless, if you face any problems, feel free to drop a comment below with questions or requests for clarification, and a member of our team will get back to you as soon as possible.